Sunday 23 November 2014

Pet tales

Once, when I was travelling with 2 of my friends on a train journey, one of them struck a conversation with our co passenger seated in our berth. Basically all the lady could do was gush about her pet dog and how she missed him and how she was looking forward to meeting him. While she showed like what seemed like a ghazillion pictures of her dog on her phone to my friend whose interest was clearly waning by the minute, me and my other friend were giving each other those smirks signalling 'one of those crazy dog ladies' which can only be shared between really good pals.

I recalled this incident as my family had to give up our first ever pet to another family a few days back because we are shifting houses. She was a really gorgeous, sweet natured and as affectionate as a cat can be cat who we named Sushi and completely out of the blue, she entered our household four and a half years back spreading much joy. Its weird the extent to which the news of her not being our pet anymore really stung. Something inside quite hurt. Having a pet is probably the best example of minimum investment, maximum returns. Of course the lowest of investment is taking care of a cat while the maximum return part is taking care of a dog. Not being able to see Sushi ever again gives me almost that same feeling of hollow of not being able to see a person who I have grown attached to. Because the truth is animals, like humans have distinct characters. And you can never replace those unique set of characteristics and specifics that unknowingly capture a place in your heart forever.

I think I should stop here before I sound more like a 'crazy cat lady'. I have noticed that especially in India, people who obsess about their pets are viewed with amusement and sometimes even ridicule (which even I have been guilty of as I narrated in the incident in the beginning). Fact is only when you own and lose a pet , is it even remotely possible to understand the kind of fondness and affection that can be involved with living things other than human beings.

I'll remember and cherish you forever, Noogs! Farewell.






No comments:

Post a Comment