Tuesday 22 May 2018

Literature from 'Sherlock' TV series

 j
I        In the third season of the series Sherlock, based on the adventures of iconic detective Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. John Watson, there is a scene where Sherlock gives a best man's speech in honour of John Watson during the latter's wedding. Up to this point, Sherlock is depicted as a genius, condescending, socially awkward geek who doesn't much care about matters concerning the heart.  I really don't know how the speech writers did it but that speech that Sherlock finally delivers at John's wedding just knocks it out of the park. It is awkward, sarcastic, cringeworthy, hilarious, beautiful and moving all at the same time. The acting is flawless, not only by an impeccable Benedict Cumberbatch who plays Sherlock but also the expressions of the audience around him played by an incredible supporting cast. 

   As a person who is drawn to good quotes and expressive writing, I really do think this content of this speech is good literature which is why I preserve it in my blog so I can revisit the same whenever I feel like. I really do take this speech as possibly the best tribute possible to those friends who add so much of value, affection and meaning to people who are so guarded, reserved and feel like they don't belong. 

 "When John first broached the subject of being Best Man, I was confused. I confess at first I didn't realize he was asking me. When finally I understood, I expressed to him that I was both flattered and surprised.I explained to him that I had never expected this request and I was a little daunted in the face of it. I nonetheless promised that I'd do my very best to accomplish a task which, for me, was as demanding and difficult as any I'd ever contemplated. Additionally, I thanked him for the trust he placed in me and indicated that I was in some ways very close to being moved by it.It later transpired that I'd said none of this out loud. 
I'm afraid John, I can't congratulate you. All emotions and, in particular, love, stand opposed to the pure cold reason I hold above all things. A wedding is, in my considered opinion, nothing short of a celebration of all that is false and specious and irrational and sentimental in this ailing and morally compromised world. Today we honor the death watch people, that is the doom of our society and, in time one feels certain, our entire species.

But anyway, let's talk about John.
If I burden myself with a little help mate during my adventures it is not out of sentiment or caprice, it is that he has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me. Indeed any reputation I have for mental acuity and sharpness comes in truth from the extraordinary contrast John so selflessly provides. It is a fact I believe brides tend to favor exceptionally plain bridesmaids for their big day. There is a certain analogy there I feel. And contrast is, after all, God's own plan to enhance the beauty of his creation. Or it would be if God were not a ludicrous fantasy designed to provide a career opportunity for the family idiot.
The point I'm trying to make is that I am the most unpleasant, rude, ignorant and all-round obnoxious arsehole that anyone could possibly have the misfortune to meet. I am dismissive of the virtuous, [He looks at the priest], unaware of the beautiful [He looks at the maid of honour] and uncomprehending in the face of the happy [He looks at Watson and Mary]. So if I didn't understand I was being asked to be best man, it is because I never expected to be anybody's best friend. And certainly not the best friend of the bravest and kindest and wisest human being I have ever had the good fortune of knowing.
 I am a ridiculous man, [John nods] redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship. But, as I am apparently you best friend, I cannot congratulate you on your choice of companion. Actually, now I can. [To Mary] Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable.
John, you have endured war and injury and tragic loss - so sorry again about that last one - so know this; today you sit between the woman you have made your wife and the man you have saved. In short, the two people who love you most in all this world. And I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that."




Other quotes from Sherlock

1) 

John Watson: I've thought long and hard about what I want to say to you. These are prepared words, Mary. I've chosen these words with care.

Mary WatsonOkay.
John Watson: The problems of your past are your business. The problems of your future...are my privilege. That's all I have to say.
2)  
"Listen, I'm happy to play the fool for you. I will run along behind you like some halfwit, making you look clever, if that's what you need. But dear GOD ABOVE, YOU WILL hold yourself to a higher standard!"

3) 

“Taking You Own Life. Interesting Expression — Taking It From Who? Once It’s Over, It’s Not You Who’ll Miss It. Your Own Death Is Something That Happens To Everybody ElseYour Life Is Not Your Own. Keep Your Hands Off It.”
4) 

Watson to Mary:  I’m not that man you thought I was. I’m not that guy. I never could be. And that’s the point. That’s the whole point. 

The man you thought I was is the man I want to be.

Mary: Well then, John Watson, get the hell on with it…

No comments:

Post a Comment